According to the regulations of RBI, an NRI is permitted to make specific investment in real estate. A NRI is allowed to do the following investments in property:
1. Any immovable property can be purchased by an NRI in India other than any agricultural land, farm house and plantation property.
2. He can get any immovable property as mentioned above by gift from Indian resident, Indian citizen residing outside India or person of Indian origin.
3. Obtain any property by inheritance.
4. He can transfer immovable property to any resident of India by sale.
5. He can transfer any agricultural land, farm house or plantation land to any resident of India by gift.
6. He can also transfer his residential or commercial property by means of gift to any person either residing in India or abroad or person of Indian origin.